Friday, April 11, 2014

Show up

4-11-2014 - '80 percent of success is showing up' - Woody Allen

Show up





'Thank you so much for coming, it means a lot'

My friends are very active people. Art shows, fundraisers, presentations, and conferences are just a small sample of things they've put on. I try to go to all of them. All those facebook invites to things that you mostly click 'maybe' to? I like to go to them. Slam poetry reading? Sure. $50/plate fundraiser for radiation oncology research? I'll see you there. I may not be interested in whatever is going on, but the person putting it on is my friend. Some friends you just see when it is convenient, like on weekends and at parties and what not, but real friends are those you show up for. 

See, by showing up, you tell that person that you value them beyond your common social interactions. You value their interests and hard work. Moreover, it shows them you're willing to put your time, your most valuable resource, at their disposable, as tangible proof of your friendship. 

Many times we have legitimate conflicts. Most others, it is really easy to make excuses and not show up. We waste so much time in a day, but we can't show up for things important to those we call our friends? 

Look at the benefits. Better friendships. Meeting new people. Learning new things. Very likely free food. Meeting new people itself should be motivation enough for those who are chronically complaining that they can't 'meet new people' or are 'sick of seeing the same people every weekend.' Finally, they'll be more likely to show up to your events. Not bad.

I'm not claiming I show up for everything. Far from it. But I try. Try it out. See what happens. Let me know.

No comments:

Post a Comment